Saturday 5 November 2016

How to break up with someone without creating a mess


Breaking up is hard to do, especially if you still care about your partner and there is no reason to end the relationship other than it’s time to move on.I will never forget the first time I  decided to break up with someone. It took me days to work out how to put it. I couldn’t eat, sleep or concentrate and spent hours practising what I was going to say.I did everything wrong because I was so concerned about his feelings. I avoided him until I was ready to say what I needed to say, but in the meantime he became cross and confused,which made it far worse for both of us. What I learnt is to be open and clear at all times about your feelings and doubts.Depending on the reasons for the break-up, there are a few of rules I always advise people to stick to.
Write it down
Write down your reasons for breaking up – for your eyes only – when you feel it is time to call it a day. This helps you to focus your thoughts and to decide whether this is what you really want to do. If you are unsure, then maybe a conversation about your uncertainties is what is needed to clarify things with your partner. If you feel you can move on together positively and give it a good go, then great. Otherwise, be clear on your intention to end the relationship. 
How would you like it?
Break up with someone in a way that you would want to be broken up with. Be kind and remember everyone has feelings and the news may come as a real shock to the other person.
'It's not me, it's definitely you'
Give good reasons, don’t just say that you don’t have feelings for them anymore. There will always be something that triggers your wanting to end a relationship, so when you are clear on your reasons (hence writing them out) let that person know in as kind a way as possible.
Let's not be friends
Don’t suggest being friends unless you really mean it. If you genuinely feel you can remain friends and that it won’t jeopardise future relationships with anyone else then that is great, otherwise don’t say it just because it is a gentle letdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment